Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Lard Soap Recipe

I absolutely love using Lard to make soap!

Lard, when used in soap making, has very good moisturizing abilities for our skin. It is also a good cleanser, and it lathers well, producing large, creamy bubbles. The finished bar is very white, and is a good soap to add color, or leave it natural.

By itself Lard would make a soft soap. But it is cost effective as a base oil when combined with other oils.  
---------
This is a non-vegan  Recipe

Lard 32 oz
Coconut Oil 10 oz
Cocoa Butter 6 oz
(raw) Shea Butter 4 oz
Sunflower Oil 2 oz

Water 14 - 20 oz (I use rain water)
Sodium Hydroxide (lye) 7.41 oz

This will be a 6% supper fated soap.

This recipe is for the ones who know have made soap before. The following information is some things that I do personally when making soap.

I like to soap at room temperatures. One of the ways I achieve this is to freeze my water in ice cube trays. I let the ice melt a bit before I add the lye, that way I don't get all the fumes, and the lye does not heat up as high as it normally would. With milk I do not let it melt at all, because lye can scorch you milk.

I slowly add lye to ice water (or frozen milk), stirring in between adding the lye so it will dissolve completely. 
On two occasions I just poured all the lye into the water and stirred and stirred and stirred, and although most of it dissolved there was some lye that became like a sheet of ice. So...I choose to add the lye and stir slowly.


Lard 

Coconut Oil 

Cocoa Butter 

(raw) Shea Butter 

Sunflower Oil 


Water (I use rain water)

Sodium Hydroxide (lye) 


Here is the soap that I made with this recipe.






Thanks for stopping by!
Valerie

*As with any recipe you  find on line you should always run it through a soap calc. 

No comments:

Post a Comment